Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Scheduling is, and is not, my forte


No less than 4 days after passing my qualifying exam, George and I moved to a new apartment. Luckily we moved to a different apartment in the same complex, so it wasn’t as much stress filled as the move down to Houston had been. But all the same, packing and unpacking was a nightmare.

I do love our new place though. We had been living in an upstairs two-bedroom apartment, with the most inconsiderate neighbors I had ever had the displeasure of sharing walls with. I had hoped that we would finally stay in one place for more than a year, but the neighbors were too much of an annoyance. Now we’re living in a two-bedroom townhouse in the same complex, 300 square feet more space, and two (count them, TWO) extra toilets for only $100 more a month. AND we don’t hear our neighbors through the walls. It’s AWESOME.

On top of that, I needed to drive up to the main campus to start the discussion part of my Oregon class. Schedules being what they were for the students and the professor, the class would be incomplete until the summer when the discussions would be finished. The professor (who is on my committee for my dissertation) is a hands on kind of guy, and likes everyone to be present to discuss things. None of this Skype nonsense.

Sigh.

Two days after moving in, I drove up to College Station with another student from Galveston for an 8 am discussion. Which meant leaving at 5 in the morning to make sure that we didn’t hit traffic in downtown. Which meant I was a cranky bitch for the day. Yay.

After that was dealt with, George and I had 3 days to get everything we needed ready for the wedding. I had my final fitting and picked up my dress. I was forever making and adding to my to-do lists. Almost two years of planning and making sure that we had everything ready, and still the last week was one of the most stressful ever (more on that in the next post).

So basically my/our schedule looked like this:

May 1st: Written qualifying exam
May 6th: Final reports for Marine Botany due
May 11th: Oral qualifying exam
May 14th: Grades for undergrads due
May 15th: Moving day!
May 17th: College Station
May 20th: Leave for California
May 22nd: Arrive in Berkeley

I can assure you that I wanted to cry multiple times. Sometimes I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment