Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First Lab of Intro Oceanography

Okay, so. I'll give a background on the story of how I got to be a grad student later. It's quite thrilling.

The topic of today's post is being a TA.

I've never taught before. I've always found that when I try to help people (and I do like to be helpful), I'm usually annoyed and a little frustrated when they don't understand or get concepts that to me, seem very simple. I have no patience for stupidity. Not that my students are stupid. Sometimes they just don't... think things through before asking me questions.

The first day of class we just went over the syllabus. Nothing too bad, but I was so nervous that I forgot to tell my first class a few things. They were so QUIET. It was unnerving.

Today broke the ice, I think though. Wanna know why?

Tornado Warning.

I'm used to the occasional "Tornado Watch" down in southeast Texas. After living here for 4 years, how could you not?

I've never been here with an actual Tornado Warning. Weather.com reported an actual tornado being spotted and heading toward to campus. A Code Maroon alert went out to my phone via text message saying "Seek shelter immediately."

WHAT THE CRAP!?!

An entire seminar was devoted to teaching the TA's what to do in case of a fire. Or a chemical spill. Tornadoes? NADA. Nothing. No protocol.

I went next door to the other TA and I was like, what the hell are we supposed to do? She didn't know either, so we went to the building proctor who told us to get our students into the hallway and away from windows until the warning passed. Which took all of 10 minutes. But still, it was like really? First class I get to teach and there's a friggin TORNADO WARNING!?!? You've gotta be kidding me.

Well, here's to hoping that tomorrow's class isn't nearly as exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment