Sunday, April 24, 2011

Tummy Evolution.

Over the past couple of years, I've accumulated aversions to different restaurants for a variety of reasons:

- Pita Pit because I had an explosion of ranch in my mouth and too much of the same taste in one wrap. 
- Panda Express because it's too greasy and I didn't have to wait until after eating to feel the regret bubbling in my stomach. Even with the veggies instead of fried rice or chow mein. 
- Recently, restaurant tortilla chips have been added to this list, probably because I was eating too many and they were a bit too greasy. This fact was only noticed after beginning my diet/lifestyle change.
- Chik Fil-A: I tried the nuggets once. And I can say that I will never touch them again. Grilled chicken sandwich wasn't AS bad, but bad enough.

And now: Rudy's BBQ. 

I used to be able to eat Rudy's at least every other week. We had it catered for our graduation party. And I think that's where the descent of Rudy's began, in terms of my tummy.

I can only take so much of the same thing. I can't/don't eat the same meal for lunch and dinner. If we make one thing for dinner this week, it will be at least a month before it's worked back into rotation. So when we were left with pounds upon pounds of Rudy's leftovers from the graduation party, it took me several months to "want" it again. Truth be told, when G started wanting it and I didn't, I couldn't think of a better alternative at the time, so I would grudgingly oblige. 

But yes. The leftovers. Dear god, the leftovers. A lot of it was frozen and we came up with a few ways to use it all during the summer (i.e. turkey in soup, brisket and sausage in chili, etc.). After finally eating it all, I never wanted to look at Rudy's again. 

Today, we had some leftover homemade vinegary coleslaw that went with our grilled fish tacos from a few nights ago, (what can I say, I loathe mayonnaise) and we have been trying to not let things rot in our fridge. So we figured the best thing to go with it was some BBQ. (Side note: we would have made something instead of buying food from a restaurant, but Texas is weird and closes most of its stores on Easter Sunday.)

Anyhow, I figured, "why not? It's been a while, I should give it another chance." BIG mistake. My tummy is slowly evolving to reject anything that's too greasy. I could probably eat some homemade barbecue cuisine, but oh my god the heartburn from Rudy's is killing me. In my quest to eat healthier, I'm starting to actually HAVE to avoid things that are marginally more unhealthy. 

Things that I once considered super delicious and tasty, I now have no desire for because instinctively I know the consequences. And the sad part is that there is no satisfaction that comes to me from eating these things anymore. Only pain. And lots of it. 

It makes me wonder why I ate any of that stuff in the first place. I guess when I had a somewhat unhealthy eating style, there wasn't really much to rebel against. It was all that my body knew. And now that I'm incorporating more veggies and fruits and less fat into my meals, things that are excessively fatty and greasy, things that logically I shouldn't be eating, are things that I no longer want to eat. 

It's rather fascinating! A small scale revolution happening within my body. It makes me wonder how different I might be if I had recognized this sooner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment