Thursday, April 7, 2011

Eat. Pray. Love.

So I finally gave in and watched Eat Pray Love tonight while G went out with his lab to celebrate his advisor getting tenure.

There really wasn't an issue with me watching the movie. I knew I wanted to see it and G didn't really care to. So I watched via netflix. I can honestly say that it's a really good movie. It made me laugh. It made me cry. But most of all, it made me think.

It made me think about what I want out of my life. I realized that most of all, I want to travel. I want to experience new cultures, new foods. Fortunately I'm in a line of work that can allow me to do so. I realized that, surprise, surprise, I worry too much. I am a bit of a control freak. I used to worry that that made me like my father. Sometimes I still worry that. There again I go, worrying. And sometimes I think being a worry-wort and control freak is a good thing, especially as a scientist. Constantly checking myself and my work for little screw ups.

And then I thought... maybe I spend too much time worrying and trying to control everything. *spoiler alert* In Italy, the main character Liz learns to appreciate the little things in life. To find passion and just enjoy being. We spend so much time overworking ourselves that when it comes time for a break, all we want to do is sit on a couch with a glass of wine in front of the TV. Is that really all we want for ourselves? To work so hard and so much that we can't see opportunities and life passing before our eyes? That we can't just stop for a few minutes to breathe, and realize that it's okay to live in the moment?

In India, Liz learns to clear her mind and forgive herself for past transgressions. I think everyone can benefit from such self discipline. Wouldn't things be simpler if you took the time to learn to block out the noisy inner workings of worry?

In Bali, Liz learns to love others, but most importantly, to love herself. We spend so much time degrading ourselves, thinking we should be less or more of something. What happened to appreciating yourself for who you are? Loving yourself for your imperfections, but not becoming complacent with them.

Everything comes back to balance. It's a true discipline. It's tough, it takes work (at least from the outside in), and from now on, I'm going to try to keep myself balanced, and take a few minutes out of every day to just breathe. And I'm also going to read the book. Hopefully not the one that has Julia Roberts on the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment