Thursday, February 24, 2011

Repeat repeat beat beat.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should even bother with the lecture before students can start the lab. No matter how many times I say the same thing over and over in the lecture, for some reason, I'm just not heard.

I suppose the only reason to keep lecturing is so that I can say I actually did tell them what they needed to know in case of complaints about their grades. I said at least 3 times "answer your questions in the way that they SHOULD BE, NOT the way your results suggest." At least half of my class didn't follow those instructions.

Another funny thing: I got a complaint that I took off points because a student didn't connect their points on a line graph because I "didn't say that they needed to."

#1, I did say so at the beginning of the semester and the first couple labs until I assumed it was beaten into your heads.

#2, I asked the student if they would submit a line graph to a math class without connecting their points. Their reply "... but you didn't say that we had to!" I shouldn't have to, but I did anyway. Still not heard.



Why is it so hard for people to read directions? Once again I got line graphs where the instructions clearly say "bar graph," yet again.

*facepalm*

No comments:

Post a Comment