Wednesday, November 17, 2010

End of First Semester as a TA

I am almost officially done being a TA. I taught my last class today, and all that's left are grades and putting all the specimens back from whence they came.

I can honestly say that while I was frustrated most of this semester by the lack of work ethic in my students, it was a good experience. I showed them a baleen tooth and they got all excited and were so surprised at how big it was. And I was excited that they were excited. We watched videos from Planet Earth today along with some other random clips (including the flamboyant cuttlefish, SO CUTE OMG) and I think it was a good way to end the semester.

Only downside was I had a student not show up to my class yesterday. This student has not shown up to class before, only to come to my office hours on Thursday (two. days. later.) to tell me that he overslept and didn't want to come in late, so can he please still turn in his handout? Naturally I said no. If something happens and you don't make it to class, email me. Why is this such a foreign concept? I don't understand. It takes 2 minutes at most to write an email explaining why you missed class and ask if you can turn in your stuff. Why would you wait two days? For all I know you forgot to do the handout and spent the time in between class and office hours trying to complete it. At the same time, I have office hours right after his class, and he showed up two weeks ago during the time allotted to say he got in an accident, here's his form.

*sigh*

Anyways. All I need to wait for now is people to finish their post labs so I can go through and drop the lowest lab grade for those who don't have missing work.

In other news, we're getting engagement pictures taken this weekend and I'm SO EXCITED. And I have NO IDEA WHAT TO WEAR. We're thinking some sort of theme, but what theme exactly I have no clue. If it's cold, we can wear our "matching" pea coats. I'm not really sure what's going to capture the essence of us. We're not really big on clothes... so I dunno.

HELP PLEASE. I need suggestions before Sunday!

3 comments:

  1. "We're not really big on clothes... so I dunno."

    Naked. engagement. pictures.

    Boom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *blinks*

    You're awful.

    What makes this worse is before I had posted this, George suggested pictures in our underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!

    you should just be proud that this came to my mind before a Diana Ross theme.

    :D

    ReplyDelete