Saturday, November 13, 2010

First Semester as a TA

I'm trying to remember all the random shit that has happened in the past couple weeks. And I'm failing.

This coming week is my last week teaching for this semester. My students are very much excited about that. I'm excited to show them a whole bunch of videos about whales, dolphins and cuttlefish.

Basically, this semester has been a huge learning experience for me. I learned:

- that not everyone is an overachiever. I just happened to be friends with the overachievers and thought everyone else was that way. Apparently, most kids want to get in and get out with as little effort as possible.

- students talk about the TA while sitting in earshot of the TA.

- a lot of students don't actually know how to use a graphing calculator. Or how to do scientific notation. Or pretty much any basic math.

- you can give all the extra credit in the world and there will still be someone that begs for more.

- expectations from the TA of the students are often a LOT higher than they should be.

- quizzes should not be a threat. They should be given at the outset.

- if as the TA, you're not sure of the answer, either say so, or say the wrong thing with conviction.

- teaching is an effective procrastination tool for classes and research.

- college kids still don't take care of their own shit. Your TA is not your mother. I send out an email about what's happening the next week immediately after class and post it as an announcement on the class website. After that, your work is up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment